What it feels like to give an adjustment

Yesterday my Cervicals partner got to do a full work-up on me and adjust me for the first time. She was not able to adjust in Toggle because her partner was not in pattern, which is essential for upper cervical care. Being “in pattern” means that whenever you run a scan on a titron, the results come out the same on more than one day. So this was her very first adjustment, and I was more than happy to be her patient.

Since I wasn’t able to explain my first cervical adjustment to you on Monday, I asked her if she would share with me how she felt while she performed her very first adjustment. She was more than happy to share that experience with you today. Here is what she told me:

So how I felt about giving you an adjustment … all the work leading up to it made me excited and a little nervous. I was really hoping that I did everything right, and that I could accurately motion out a truly subluxated segment.

Then when it came down to which technique to use, I was like, “Oh, crap, I hate cervical chair, especially with the #6 contact point.” Then when I set up on you and you told me I had good contact, it really boosted my confidence! So then I was like, yeah, I can do this! And then when I brought you to tension and was about to thrust, I was like, “Oh, crap (again), I hope I still have good contact.” I was really scared that I was gonna sting you and just make things worse with the subluxation (so I hope you weren’t lying when you said it was fine!). But it was nice to be able to thrust twice, even though I didn’t really get the segment to move.

Afterwards, it was great to have feedback from you and Dr. Hynes. I couldn’t tell during the whole thing how well she thought I was doing, but it was very reassuring at the end when she said I was thorough and did a good job. Now I feel more like a soon-to-be doctor, and it’s fantastic! You were an awesome patient!

She couldn’t have said it any better. I felt just about the same way with my first adjustment. At first you’re really nervous because you’re not sure you’re doing it right. Then you pump yourself up and you’re like, “Yeah, I can totally do this!” Then you get ready to thrust, and you’re right back to thinking, “Oh no! I’m not sure I can this.” In the end you are always able to do it. It’s what we are trained to do and we are trained very well.

You work all trimester to lead up to this point, and it makes the whole trimester and first year leading up to these opportunities worth it. You get fired up and remember why your here. Hopefully I will have another story of adjusting on Wednesday when I will hopefully be able to give it another shot, because after all, that’s what I came here to do and what I enjoy talking about!

-Allisha