Finals are coming … and I almost got to adjust!

It’s been another busy week in fifth trimester. We’ve exactly one week of classes left before we jump into finals. I believe most of the lower trimesters are finished with most of their testing then. Our class has practicals and quizzes almost every day until finals. It probably wouldn’t be this packed had we not missed four days of classes. I had the majority of my practicals Monday and Tuesday, so the rest of the week is pretty steady.

It snowed a good chunk yesterday and last night, and it seemed like the main concensus from most of the people I talked to was they were not going to be happy if classes were cancelled again. Although there are still people that are on board with snow days. To their disappointment, we were in classes Thursday even though the surrounding schools were cancelled.

Another cervical X-ray!

Another cervical X-ray!

This Monday was supposed to be my first adjusting day in my cervicals class. I got through the full work-up in a timely manner, made sure my patient was in good condition and was even able to isolate an atlas subluxation. A full work-up includes having a detailed case history on your patient, finding out everything about them to make sure there are no contraindications. Visualization–looking at your patients posture. Leg checks–range of motion of the cervical spine and reflex testing cervical nerve roots. Then I had to perform a few orthopedic tests that were related to the cervical spine to make sure she didn’t have any significant injuries or pathologies. We did our first check for subluxations using the nervoscope then confirmed our findings with static and motion palpation.

Unfortunately, my patient’s X-rays were not marked properly so we weren’t able to adjust. She is going to get the proper markings on them this week, and we are going to give it another try the last day of classes. I will let you know how it goes.

I have only had one experience adjusting in toggle, but it’s exhilarating so I am really looking forward to hopefully getting that opportunity next Wednesday in cervicals. My partner gets her opportunity to adjust me during our next class!

As for now, there isn’t much else really happening this week. Everyone is just trying to prepare for finals!

-Allisha