Brrrrr … but in a good way! Kinda.

(Note: This post was actually written Thursday, Jan. 23)

Yay! Another too cool for school day! By cool I mean freezing cold (way below zero without factoring in the windchill), not I’m too cool for school and I skipped. Skipping is not good; don’t do it unless absolutely necessary. Luckily, with this freezing weather, the exam, practical and quiz that I had scheduled for today were moved until Monday. Which means I get to use this “snow” day to actually just relax and browse notes at my own leisure! It is 2:03 in the afternoon, and I have not left the comfort of my own bed. It’s too cold, and there’s no better place.

Get to know this guy really well--especially his spine!

Get to know this guy really well–especially his spine!

From my understanding, the second trimester kids got a treat today and had their Spinal Anatomy exam moved. You will hear lots of things about Spinal Anatomy. All I will say is I genuinely enjoyed the class. When I took the class, it was also in the fall trimester and we had an exam the Thursday before one of the breaks. We had the worst blizzard of the year that day, so our exam was pushed back to after break–which also meant having to study spinal over the break. Now most people would be excited for more study time, like in the case of my physical diagnosis exam for Monday. Not when it comes to spinal anatomy, though, after you have already prepared and prepared (and hopefully you have) and you’re just ready to take the exam and be done with it. So I was super disappointed when I had to continue to study and come back and take it. Either way, the experience was non-traumatic, and I obviously made it out okay because in just about a month I will be halfway done with the D.C. curriculum, I still love the profession, I still love this school and I still love what I do everyday.

Once you get  here, you’re going to hear a lot of things and get a lot of advice from other students. My advice on this is be choosy about what you believe. Everyone has their own levels of difficulty. If someone tells you a class is super easy and not to bother studying until a couple days before, take it with a grain of salt and find out for yourself. Never wait until a couple days before to prepare for any exam. Your idea of easy is not the same as someone else’s. You both don’t have the same background or learning style, so what comes easy to them may not come easy to you. When you choose to believe those things, then end up not preparing like you should and not doing as well as you like, then you start to get bummed out because that class was suppose to be easy! Don’t let those things get to you; everyone has a different class that they struggle with.

On the other end, there will be classes that people say are incredibly hard. Spinal II will no doubt be on that list. Those words of advice may freak you out and make you nervous, but just study hard and find out for yourself.

All in all, just try to enjoy your time here. It’s going to be challenging and it’s going to be tough, but it’s also going to be amazing. You’re going to have so many incredible opportunities and meet some fascinating people and make some of the best friends you’ll ever have. Embrace yourself and embrace chiropractic.

-Allisha