A.R.T.

active release technique

Photo from Shepard Pain and Performance Care (http://www.bnchiro.com/)

So I started practicing for my A.R.T. (Active Release Techniques) seminar coming up in December. We have a huge book with a ton of protocols and an exam that we have to learn before we go to the seminar so that we will have some kind of base knowledge and know how to work with. There are just over 100 protocols for the upper extremity, so it is a lot of material to cover!

They have sent me a very large textbook along with a DVD that is an instructional video on how to do each protocol. So my roommates have been nice enough to volunteer their arms and shoulders and necks to allow me to practice on them! Essentially I will read over a protocol out of my textbook that covers which muscles I am working on, how to contact and where to contact the muscle and then what motion to put my patient through to get the correct tension and effectiveness. Then I will watch the video that shows how to do it and then practice it on my patient a few times on either side.

So far I have made it through half of the protocols, and I am starting to catch on to the trend of how A.R.T. works and how much pressure to use and how to move my patients through a motion while I apply pressure to the muscle or its attachment, etc.

I am finding this to be a big review of gross anatomy, which is great! Only two more weeks until the seminar, and I have a lot more protocols to go through before I’m ready, but nonetheless I am really excited to be getting certified in it! A.R.T was a big reason I became interested in chiropractic in the first place, so I am excited to finally be getting to learn how to do something that had sparked my interest in this career and got me to where I am today–here at Palmer!

Cheers,
Kailey