Rugby!

womensrugby-3-14bI have had a few requests to write about rugby, since I’m on the women’s rugby team, so here goes nothing.

This is a hard topic to describe to those who have never heard of it or seen it played before. If I had to compare it to any sport, I guess I would pick football. The ball is similarly shaped but larger and has a more rounded point. There are two sets of players, forwards and backs, and then there’s tackling!  But the rules of the game and the way it is played are very different from football.

A “touchdown” in rugby is called a “Try,” and when you pass the ball it must always be passed backward (so the person you are passing to has to run onto it). But the aim of the game is to create space in order to get by the other team and place the ball down in the “Try-zone.”

There’s a lot more to explain, but I won’t confuse everyone with all the rules in between for now. Maybe I will progress this post and go into details about more rules in the future.  🙂

WomensRugby3-14I played rugby in high school, so getting back into it here at Palmer has been fun. I was definitely surprised there was a team when I got here. I can’t believe how much I forgot about the game and how fun it is to play! The women’s rugby team practices two times a week (on Tuesday and Thursday nights). It’s been a great way to meet some new girls who aren’t in my class and have some fun!

We have games coming up at the end of March, which I will keep you all in the loop on, and we always love and welcome any girls who want to play. You don’t even have to be a student at Palmer to play, so if you’re interested, come on out to practice!

Cheers,

Kailey