‘Adjusting’ to clinic

Hello, everyone! I am not new to Palmer, but I am new to blogging so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Brittany Garcia, and I am a tenth quarter student at the Florida Campus. I am a little less than one year from graduating—it’s so crazy (and amazing) to think that I am graduating THIS year! The past nine quarters went by so quickly, and I can only imagine the next year will pass by even more rapidly. Up until this point at Palmer, I have spent most of my time in class, which means I have done a lot of studying and exam taking (a necessary evil). Now, as a tenth quarter student, I have made the transition from the classroom to the clinic. It was five weeks ago today that I started working at the student outpatient clinic and treating people from the community.

My new role at Palmer as a student intern has been full of highs and lows. On a positive note, I already have nine outpatients! Some of them got passed to me from students who are graduating, some I recruited from the community, and one of them was given to me as a lottery patient who called in to receive care. Even though I am starting to accumulate patients now and becoming busier, the first few weeks were quite slow—as they are for most new interns.

Last quarter I began the transition by treating student in the clinic. I had already been adjusting in class for over a year at that point, so this transitional period was necessary to gain familiarity with electronic health records, exam forms and clinic protocols. The time I spent in the clinic in ninth quarter gave me the experience I needed to feel confident when working with outpatients. I felt a little nervous during my first new patient exam and adjustment, because it was the first time that there was a real person in front of me, with pain, who wasn’t a student, and I was expected to help make them well?! Of course there were a few hiccups—I would be lying if I said otherwise—but my first exam and adjustment went pretty well. It helped that I had another student in the exam room helping me along way. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that with every patient I become more efficient, and my confidence in examining, diagnosing, and treating goes up little by little.

I have a lot going on this quarter (as I do with most quarters), so I am really excited to be able to share my experiences with you all. There will be many interesting blogs to look forward to from me in the coming weeks. I am currently studying to take my Part II and III National Boards, as well as preparing to travel to India in March for a Clinic Abroad trip through Palmer!

Stay tuned,

Brittany