Clinic experience: Taking my first X-ray

My first X-ray that I shot was in the Campus Health Center, and it was of a knee. We hadn’t gotten through the whole lower extremity in class yet, so I was very nervous about taking them.

We get a partner to take the X-ray, write a report and do a radiology reading with. I chose an 8th trimester student, because they had already been through the class. It’s nice to have two minds working together, because if you don’t notice something or don’t know how to word something, there is someone else to rely on. I will be the first to admit that I forget things, so it’s nice to have someone else to help. After the X-rays were successfully taken, we had to begin our radiology report. It was easy to write because there wasn’t anything of significance on the films. The radiology review is what I was truly worried about. I had heard all sorts of scary stories about the different things that could go wrong.

We chose our time for the next day’s review sessions. My first radiology review was a great experience. Our report was well written, and we didn’t get “yelled” at for anything. I say “yelled” because that it what I had heard about, but really they just teach you ways to do things properly and make sure that you see all the important stuff on the film. I forgot to mention, radiology review is when you take your films and radiology report in front of a licensed chiropractic radiologist (DACBR for short) to make sure that you didn’t miss anything on the films and that the report is written properly.

I am glad that I have had many positive experiences in the radiology review, because you have to take 30 X-ray credits in order to graduate.

– Christa Scheffler, Davenport Campus