Start of Seventh Trimester!

Today is Friday … ahhh Friday. I am sitting in the third floor library after finishing extremities class with Dr. Lipes. The first week is complete, and it went pretty well. I feel a sense of wonder as the new tri starts because I am excited to see what seventh trimester and entering clinic in a few weeks will bring about. I have been warned by many upper tri students and teachers to get organized and stay on top of things this trimester as early as possible, because it ends up being a busy one. It will be a challenge to our time management skills, just like first trimester was.

I was sitting in Visceral Diagnosis class with Dr. Tatum today, and my mind wandered for a second (ok, more than a second), and I was thinking about how much this trimester feels like first again to me. The key is having the right focus and mental attitude that it can be done and that this is where I want to be. The focus is on Palmer. The focus is with my teachers in every class. The focus is with each patient as I enter the clinic room with them.

This trimester, I want to learn as much as I can and really dive into adjusting skills. We clear for the clinic on November 30, 2012, when we have our Clinic Induction Ceremony in the afternoon. There are a few observations and assignments we have to accomplish before we can start seeing patients. We also get to do a complete work up and adjust a classmate before we see any patients in the lower trimesters. This is nice because we can be understanding of each other and forgiving if someone is slow or does tests in an inefficient order. We can use this time to help each other out. During Clinical Methods class yesterday, we had a tour of the Campus Health Center with Dr. McConnell. Even though I have been in the clinic several times as a patient, it felt different this time. I was on the other side now. Dr. McConnell encouraged us to take the opportunity and learn from the other doctors in the CHC if one arises. There will be more variety that way and more learning because every chiropractor is unique.

I just purchased a Palmer Planner from the Bookstore and a clinic planner from the Vet’s Club. I will be taking the advice of those who have gone before me and writing down all of my classes and assignments that are expected of me this trimester. The Vet’s Club clinic planner is really handy; it has time slots every day for patients, and it tracks numbers of adjustments, radiology credits and physical exams. It can be used for the entire time you are here at Palmer in the clinics to track every patient. It is also nice because you can look back and have a record all in one place of every patient you see from the start of your Palmer Chiropractic career onward! I guess I am still old school and like the paper version and I am not switching to iPad or electronic versions quite yet!

Good luck to those of you starting a new trimester!