Helen and Christine: Palmer staffers supreme

Helen Cruz and Christine Beaudry: Two names you probably haven’t heard – but you will know them well once you come to Palmer!

Helen Cruz is on the security team at Palmer, and she “holds down the fort” in the parking lot at the Academic Health Center (AHC). Helen is always here to brighten our days. Her spirit glows like a candle! I just walked by her today, and she gave me a hug! I commented on the humidity today, and she said her hair is getting frizzy because of it, and we laughed. Then she told me she loved me. This took me by surprise. I remember thinking that it is bold of her to say that. But you know what? It makes people feel good. I am not the only person Helen has reached out to in this way.

I said, “I love you, too, Helen, and we can let go of the fear of saying it more often!” She told me how she says “I love you” to strangers. Then she made a fist with her hand and patted her heart twice, then pointed with an extended second digit. I laughed and thought that she was so cute for making “gang signals” about love! But Helen wasn’t being silly. She was being utterly honest.

She said, “Spread love. Pay it forward. Do something nice for someone who is not expecting it, and watch them light up with joy.” What an amazing soul! Thank you, Helen!

Christine Beaudry is another Palmer employee I love to see. Christine works at the front desk inside the AHC. She is the first person many people see when they walk into Palmer.

Whenever I see Chris, she warms my heart because she is so willing to help anyone and everyone. It is her job to stay at the information desk and help guide visitors, but she does more than that. She is a connector. You are always greeted with a smile, and her willingness to go out of her way is so amazing!

Before we give campus tours, we Campus Guides check in at her desk. I love to see her when I have a tour to give. Thank you, Chris!

Talk about two women working at Palmer that are making a difference!

As for me, at the moment I am on a break from class. On Tuesdays and Fridays at 9:20 a.m, all students in all ten trimesters get a break. It’s campus-wide.

Whoops! I just remembered! I have to get to a room for thoracolumbar. We are meeting to do a work up involving motion and static palpation, visualization, instrumentation and findings so that we can get X-rays of our spines. Then we can practice adjusting each other in sixth trimester.

Love it! Gotta go, though! Later, gators!

Kaileigh Strath
6th trimester student, Davenport Campus