A season for everything

This dawn of a new trimester has come with some great changes including my perspective on life. Over the short break in between my first and second trimesters my wife delivered our first baby–Olivia Dumond. The whole experience was one that cannot be put into words. Reflecting upon the duration of the pregnancy and then looking at this little one, of whom we have been very blessed to receive, helps me realize that these short years at Palmer will soon pass by.

It is true that I am only commencing my second trimester, but I try to look at it like this: I have less than three years left to soak in as much as I possibly can through training, opportunities, and learning about the legends who walked the same halls that I do each day.

As I ponder this time in front of me, it gives me the courage and motivation to give back while I am here, hence my early involvement with Palmer Campus Guides.

Within this short involvement, I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet some of the great leaders of this school, both of faculty as well as students. I have also been able to learn more about campus and the B.J. and Mable Palmer Residence (The Palmer Mansion). The history is rich which helps us keep things in perspective that we are truly not alone in this great struggle of gaining our education to benefit mankind as a whole.

I have also had the opportunity to have lunch with a prospective student and her family. This was a choice experience that I hope I remember for all time. During the great discussion we had we got on the topic of what the philosophy of chiropractic is. While smiling and having Dr. Victor Strang’s voice in my head from Philosophy, I replied that chiropractic is about allowing the body to heal itself.  I gave my personal philosophy to help illustrate this.

We are products of Deity.  God never has created nor will ever create anything imperfect.  Thus, our bodies have the needed knowledge of how to get and stay well.  In chiropractic lingo this is called “Innate Intelligence.”  I went on to explain that at times we do need intervention from the pharmaceuticals for when need to keep in mind that “there is a time and season for everything.”  Why else would God grant unto us the opportunity to obtain the knowledge and discover the products we have?

This became all too real for me over this last break as I witnessed my wife going through labor and delivery.  She and I both were exhausted from being up throughout the whole previous night and our strength was gone.  She was not coming along very well in dilation and needed to have some help with the contractions and so Pitocin was administered.  As Pitocin started to have full effect the immense pain started to set in, which commonly comes with the “synthetic Oxytocin.”  My wife started to look at me sternly and let me know that she wanted something to help her.

I recalled how we wanted to proceed through labor and delivery as natural as possible, however I had to take into consideration some of the events that had recently taken place.  She had been administered a synthetic hormone that causes intense contractions. She was also extremely exhausted and I knew that if she was not given anything she would not have the needed strength to deliver the baby, therefore causing more problems and complicating the end goal of the last nine months: a healthy baby. 

Pain medications were administered in degrees which would allow her to rest (fall asleep actually) in between contractions as well as not feel the full effect of the Pitocin.  As I watched her fade into the sleep she desperately needed I felt we had made the correct decision.  Even though my wife did feel some of the contractions, which were getting more frequent and more intense, she was not feeling the full effect.  The interesting event was when it was time to push my wife was immediately “back in the game” and ready to get the baby out.

After only 20 minutes of pushing (which is DARN good for a first baby!) Olivia Dumond was delivered by her dad (yep, that is me!) with a little help, of course, from our midwife. =)

This whole experience was one that awakened my outlook on medicine.  I will never forget the thought and feelings that I received sitting on my little cot-bed next to my wife while we were deciding on medication or not for the labor.  I had thoughts come to me that explained that we, in this day and age, have been blessed to have this knowledge and ability to help people when the time and season are correct.  This was the right season and the correct time for my wife to receive help.  I am forever grateful for the thought that, yes, we are blessed to have the knowledge and technology!

We cannot dismiss the effectiveness of allopathic medicine when it is used properly.  My recent personal experience has reminded me of its blessing in my life through assisting my wife during that pinnacle time in her life and Olivia’s.

When to properly use holistic or allopathic medicine is a matter of wisdom—knowledge applied at the right time and during the correct season.  It is up to us, as lifetime learners, to receive the needed knowledge through many avenues, gain the experience of applying it correctly, and be open for true intelligence to whisper to each of us when we need that extra help.

Anton L. Keller, 2nd trimester student
Davenport Campus

3 thoughts on “A season for everything

1. Anton,

Congratulation on the new baby girl and finishing your first trimester. You have a little ways to go, but it will go quickly, so try and cherish your time at Palmer. Soak in as much as you can.

Your view on allopathic medicine is very level-headed. I’ve always tried to practice and be a part of the broader medical community, never straying to the fringes where others claim chiropractic is a panacea. Keep in mind the vast majority of your patients will be pain patients. Treat your patients with respect, get them out of pain as quickly as possible and they will be life-long patients. Maintenance patients and wellness patients will naturally come, but always remember your bread and butter patients will be pain patients.

Nice article and keep up the hard work!

Dr. Rod White
    Advanced Chiropractic Guam

2. I began care with Dr. Smith a year ago in April. Though I had been under chiropractic care priseouvly, my health had taken a plateau. My low back pain had become less frequent and less intense, but it was still there every few days. I also had started developing minor lower neck pain. My first adjustment under care was impacting. Not only did I feel an enormous sensation go out the top of my head, but i felt this ticklish feeling all the way down my body into my toes. It was such an unique experience. After 6 months of care, I discovered i had experience a silent miracle. During those six months I had been through the toughest part of my education, which kept me glued to campus 90 hours a week. In addition, there were countless other stresses that were weighing me down as well. After all of that, I discovered that I had NOT fallen ill ONCE during that time. To me this means a lot, because I use to get sick every other week. In fact growing up, I was known as Dr. Jessica because I would carry around a tackle box full of meds like Advil, Tylenol, Allegra, and Nyquil. I’d constantly find myself having some sort of allergy/cough/congestion going on, and it would happen in times of greatest stress. Amazingly, through specific chiropractic care I only became pain free, but also developed the strongest immune system I have ever had!

3. I’ve being seeing Dr. Mark for 5 mtnohs now. I have found him to beknowledgeable, friendly, approachable and fun! He was extremely helpful andresponsive when I needed help one holiday weekend and opened up his officefor me. With having many chronic health conditions and having primarily beenunder the care of a medical doctor, I am seeking a more wholistic approachto the management of my health as Western medicine does not have all theanswers to my questions concerning my well being and overall health.Dr. Mark and I often discuss this while he is treating me and Iinadvertently mentioned one day that I was going for Carpel Tunnel surgery!He asserted oh I can treat that , so I proceeded to let him!After about 6 treatments I have started to be free of the major CarpelTunnel symptoms of pins and needles, numbness and gnawing aches and amavoiding surgery!It is here that I want to stress that surgery is not the only solution! Ihave been well supported through the years by Chiropractic treatments and it has definitely addressed all aspects of my heath and one can see veryclearly that body, mind and spirit do all affect one another.Dr. Mark’s skills, professionalism and compassion are demonstrated everyvisit. He listens closely and supports my goal for optimal health and wellbeing.Thank you Dr. Mark