Chiropractic for Quadrupeds

Finally…finally….finally! Almost exactly 3 years after having a revelation to completely change my life and go to chiropractic college, I am learning what I came here to learn: how to adjust animals. But wait, you say. Palmer doesn’t have an animal chiropractic program, does it?

Unfortunately, no. This past weekend I flew to Dallas, TX for a four day module on animal chiropractic through Parker University. The program takes six months to complete, with one module a month covering a different area of the body. This module was the sacropelvic unit, and we learned anatomy, physiology, neurology, pathology, and adjusting techniques for the sacropelvic region in addition to covering chiropractic history and philosophy, veterinary basics, and animal safety and handling. To become certified in animal chiropractic, you must be either a Doctor of Chiropractic, a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, or a “senior student” of either (within a year of graduating).

My class this year consists of about 30 people, with about a dozen chiropractors, a dozen veterinarians, and half a dozen chiropractic students from varying colleges. Parker is one of only three schools for animal chiropractic in the country (the others are Options for Animals in Kansas City and Healing Oasis in Wisconsin) and is the only one that is taught at an accredited chiropractic college, and that’s why I chose it. The teachers are all AVCA certified (American Veterinary Chiropractic Association) and are very good at what they do.

It was an amazing weekend, getting to work with other chiros, vets, and students to learn about something we all have a passion for. On Thursday and Friday we had lecture, which was tedious but very interesting. It was so much fun when they brought in the dogs on Saturday for us to practice palpation, set-ups, handling, and other skills. On Sunday we went to a hunter-jumper equestrian farm and practiced on horses. The weekend left me exhausted but fired up to learn more about how to adjust “quadrupeds!”

I arrived at Parker a few hours before the seminar started, so I decided to give myself a little self-guided tour around campus. School was in session so I got to see a little what life was like for the students as they went about their day.

Parker has a very nice campus, the grounds are well-taken care of and the buildings are new and nice. I had the chance to talk to some of the Parker students, and also some students from other chiropractic colleges as well, and throughout the weekend I kept telling myself, “Wow, I am really grateful for my Palmer education.” Not to put down any of the other schools, but I did feel that I had a better handle on a lot of the material and in comparing our stories that Palmer definitely has a good program compared to the rest. Now, if only they would offer an animal chiropractic program here!

Alissa Grover, 8th trimester student
Davenport Campus

7 thoughts on “Chiropractic for Quadrupeds

1. Pingback: Chiropractic for Quadrupeds | Davenport Campus Blog « chiropracticlincoln.com

2. Alissa,

This is completely awesome. I wish I would have taken courses to be able to adjust animals. My wife and I have two dogs and they are a big part of our family. If chiropractic is so great for people, it only stands to reason that it’s great for animals too! Keep up the great work, I loved this article.

Dr. Rod

3. I have been an animal and people chiropractor since 1996 when I graduated from Palmer (Davenport). I am glad to see more chiropractors are learning to take care of animals.
    I am primarily a Gonstead chiropractor and do most of my animals by hand. Since we are in San Diego I am able to adjust most my animals in the grass in the front of the office. This is especially helpful since a good number of the animals I see have difficulties with going the bathroom.
    Dr. Ken Gilden
    (858) 576-0575

4. I didnt realize they offered chiropractic care for animals. My english bulldog is showing signs of early arthritis so I wonder if this would help her at all.

5. I’m excited to hear more about chiropractic care in animals. My dog is suffering from arthritis and i think this would be a great idea for her.

6. What a fantastic post! I was not even aware there was chiropractic care available for pets! great work applying yourself, I am sure you will be very successful.