There’s so much to love about fifth tri

Wow! A new trimester is upon us and I can feel the buzz of excitement in the halls at Palmer. It is always a refreshing place after everyone has had a break, and students are diving into new clubs and speakers and meetings! You can never possibly be bored here.

Boards are about to be taken by many, myself not included, for I will be taking Canadian boards sometime next year. It is the first time my classmates will take part 1 boards, and I can usually hear someone discussing their panic attacks, explaining concepts, making up silly mnemonics, or something of the like in between classes.

I took the NBS board review with my friends last tri to stay ahead of the game. That was before I knew I would not be taking American boards, but over break I took the board review again for $25! Steal of a deal for lots of fun with Dr. Laura. She is quite the animated teacher and she can really shine a light on all of that first year info and even make learning fun! I’m kind of a nerd … if you haven’t guessed. Haha!

So we just entered fifth trimester and wow! I can’t even tell those of you who haven’t experienced it yet how DIFFERENT it is from fourth tri! We get to participate and not sit as much in class!

We are learning the basics of physical therapy with Dr. Rowell, which I am excited for, coming from a sports background. We have already learned some about preventing sports injuries and rehabilitation! We even have a lab for it to practice exercises and sketches to show our future patients.

Then we have radiology two with Dr. Firth, where we continue to increase our skills at looking at an x-ray and differentiating between normal and pathological conditions, and gaining knowledge about how cancer can present in the bones on a film.

Then we have toxicology class with Dr. Nightingale, which is very interesting! We get to go over how the medications may be interacting in many of our patients’ digestive systems, at what limits they can be lethal, and conditions when drugs may be useful.

At 10:15 we have Dr. Torgurud again. We have not seen him since CNS class in first tri! He teaches us biomechanics, which is all about the technicalities and a little physics of the adjustment, stability and posture! We then have lunch! Yay for lunch break!

At 12:05 we begin physical diagnosis with Littrell. What an amazing teacher! We have discussions in class, and she encourages us to put together info from all the past few tris to come up with differential diagnoses in the first week of class!

I just purchased my diagnostic equipment today, and I can’t wait to be able to listen to heart and lung sounds, take a proper blood pressure, and use my new beautiful panoptic oto-opthalmoscope to decipher whether or not any ear or eye problems exist!

Then we get into cervicals class! Aha! Chiropractic, hands-on! We have already covered leg checks and some film analysis with the sweetest teacher who has been a chiro for many years. Today I already analyzed my own cervical films and came up with listings!! So neat!

The last class of the day is NMS, where we will be learning other diagnostic skills to test the nerve pathways in the body. Today I felt like a doctor in practice already because we got to take patient histories and practice a clinical setting as if someone was in a new patient visit with me and I was finding out about them! I know I am going to leave this tri with great skills for my practice! It is so great.

Cheers to all of you Palmer students ahead of me, to all Palmer grads out there who are rocking it in practice, and to all of you future Palmer students who have yet to experience fifth tri! It’s a gooder!

Kaileigh Strath, 5th Trimester Student
Davenport Campus