First Seminar of the Season

The seminar I recently attended was great! It was back in my hometown, so it was nice to be able to see my family as well.

My friend from the Rugby team, Emily, attended the seminar with me. Before we left on Friday, the Rugby team went to SPIZZ Night. The night started out like a club fair. Students are able to walk through different tables on clubs and learn more about them. Then we had a delicious taco dinner. Throughout the night, Palmer also gives away prizes and raffling off different gifts. It was a good time!

Then during the actual SPIZZ part, different speakers came in and talk to students about philosophy or topics they are passionate about. For any Palmer student who hasn’t attended, you’re missing out; and for any prospective student, I highly recommend going. 🙂 And even if you hate it, it’s still free food, hehe. 🙂

So after all of this, Emily and I left to drive back to Wisconsin. By the time we got to my house, it was about 11:30 p.m. It was definitely an early morning the next day, and you bet I started my day off with coffee. 🙂 We went to a coffee shop right away and then made our way to the seminar. The seminar was held in a gym, so it was a little weird, but it worked.

The first speaker was Dr. Gina from Chicago, who specializes in nutrition. She was great! Not only did she go into why certain vitamins and supplements are good/bad, but she also went into different lab tests that should be done for patients. On top of explaining all these labs, she also said that you should be able to read these labs or send them off to someone who can accurately interpret them. I believe in her situation, the cases are more extreme, but it was still good advice.

I was trying to picture this in my office, and I kept thinking if a patient came in and said, ‘Oh, my lab work came back fine, but I still feel like crap.’ Okay, well clearly you aren’t fine, so let’s go through your labs together and see if we should be looking at a different lab draw or if I should refer you to someone more specialized. And who knows if I’ll incorporate this into my practice, but it’s definitely something to keep in mind. :)j Since this was a pregnancy/postpartum seminar, she also talked about what we should do for those patients and what they can be experiencing.

The next speaker was Dr. Tom, also from Chicago, who specializes in Mackenzie Method. I had no idea what that MDT was, but apparently for boards I need to know that it is ‘disc extension’. It seems like a great tool to use, but because I don’t feel a draw or an interest to the physical therapy side, I didn’t really like this part. I know already that physical therapy is not my forte, but because I know this, and I know how important it can be, I will need to work with someone more versed than me. Long story short, I was traumatized as a child with physical therapy, so I try to avoid it. 🙂

Over all, the weekend was awesome! After the seminar on Saturday night, we went to a new restaurant downtown La Crosse with my family. I can tell you I ate some amazing cheese curds and may or may not have had some delicious Wisconsin beer. Sunday afternoon we also went to lunch with my family before we left.

-Calliei