Just another week at Palmer …

Learning more about spinal anatomy

Learning more about spinal anatomy

Last week nothing too special happened. We had a Physiology 2 exam on Monday and a Pathology quiz on Tuesday. Overall it was a pretty good week!

Rugby conditioning was decent and practice was pretty fun. We worked on team aspects and also specific roles for backs and forwards. Our game in the Twin Cities was our first real “team effort,” and so we knew we needed to bring that together. Well, that’s exactly what we did, and it turned out pretty well for our game on Saturday at home. But you’ll have to read the next one for those details. 🙂 Hehe.

On Wednesday I went to a speaker at a local chiropractic office. The speaker just happened to be my Spinal Anatomy professor, Mr. Chip Morter. It was great to see him outside of class and to learn more about his personal philosophy on chiropractic. He specifically talked about adaptation. Our bodies adapt to the stressors around them; whether it be physically or emotionally. We can apply this philosophy to our adjustments, to understanding our patients, and even to understand the basis of chiropractic. If a person is in pain, their body will adjust to that pain. And guess what that probably caused? A misalignment of the spine and possible abnormal bone growth. And guess what that person needs? A chiropractor! It’s amazing how simple it is. 🙂

I also went to another speaker during club hour on Friday. This speaker was for the Pediatrics Club, and we looked at several pediatric elbow X-rays. Let me tell you, those X-rays are ridiculous! I’ve never spent time looking at pediatric X-rays, and I swear I thought they all had broken arms. I completely forgot to apply my Gross Anatomy 1 knowledge this early in the morning! Children are still growing, so not all the bones have ossified, causing the X-rays to look different than adult X-rays. It was really neat to look at these and get a jump start on some radiology.

I also learned that 80 percent of medial epicondyle fractures occur in boys; I just happened to be in the 20 percent of girls who have broken theirs. 🙂 And I broke both at the same time, so I wonder what the odds would be there?! Hehe.

The rest of Friday, I just binge watched Netflix. Sometimes you just need those days. Yes, I said days. Plural. Multiple days. I’m currently in the middle of season six of “Grey’s Anatomy,” so it’s semi-useful information. 🙂

I also tried to mentally prepare for the game on Saturday. We played Wisconsin (a nationally ranked team), and it was super important to be prepared for that. I’m still pretty new to rugby, so usually I just try to figure what the heck is going on during the game. But things actually clicked for me this week at practice, so I wanted to be at the top of my game. You’ll have to wait for the next one to see how we did. 🙂

Callie