Rugby playoffs and Thanksgiving with family

(Written in December 2017)

The past couple weeks have been filled with rugby once again due to playoffs. We were so lucky to reach the next step of playoffs and play the Grand Rapids Gazelles in Michigan. Unfortunately it was a pretty cold day with rain but we were happy it didn’t snow like our last game. We came out in the first half winning and ending the game with an even bigger lead! This allowed us to make it to the Midwest championship game the next weekend in Lemont, Illinois. Being in the Midwest we expected another cold game against the Cincinnati Kelts. The game started off rough and by the end of it we were not able to come out with a win. It was a hard-fought game but the Kelts had a great offense and ultimately played the game better. In the end, it was still a win for us since this is the farthest Palmer Women’s Rugby has gone in the playoffs, and we have the title of 2nd place Midwest champs. It was a great season and I’m so thankful for the hard work each player has put into this season.

My schedule has been very busy since our rugby season has continued, but one of my electives I chose to take started this past week. With SOT, we have learned the foundation and reasoning to how this technique works with the connections within the body with subluxations, muscles, fascia and more. I love learning more about it each day and it involves a lot of hands-on experience. With a couple weeks of this trimester under our belts, we have been rolling out a few exams already. Luckily, the professors have spread them out from other classes and work with our schedule so we don’t have too many exams on one day or in one week. A few professors like to get their first round of exams in before the Thanksgiving holiday so there isn’t time in between to forget material. With a couple practicals and exams done with, I was ready for a weekend at home with my family!

Young woman and girl coloring

My cousin Hailey and I coloring on Thanksgiving!

For Thanksgiving, we usually go to my grandparent’s place during the day and enjoy a good meal with our extended family. It was so much fun to see my cousins, aunts and uncles since I usually only to get see them on the holidays. Plus, I always love a home-cooked meal! There was so much food that by the end of the evening I was stuffed! My family and I eventually went home and had a few snacks of our own and enjoyed some quality time — ending the night with a movie. The next day I was able to spend some time with a friend and we did a little Black Friday shopping in the late morning. Luckily, I didn’t have anything specific to buy so I just got a couple small items. I enjoyed the rest of the weekend just relaxing with the family back at home. I had to get back Saturday night though because I wanted to spend Sunday catching up and preparing for the next week!