The life of a Palmer student: National Boards, rugby and travel time

Jennie's parents sitting at a table in a restaurant.

My parents when they visited Davenport.

It has been a hectic couple of weeks here in Davenport for me with board exams, classes, school exams and rugby all occurring daily. The week before National Boards was stressful since I spent every night on campus in a study room looking over the material for each subject. There are a total of six subjects being tested on one day. The subjects are spinal anatomy, general anatomy, chemistry, microbiology, physiology and pathology. When the day came, I made sure my locker was packed with lots of snacks and a little bit of study material in case I wanted to look over a few things before each exam. When the day came, I was a bit nervous to say the least! Everyone says it’s really difficult and you feel like you don’t know half the answers. I didn’t get much sleep the night before since I studied a little bit, watched a movie and I was, in general, nervous. So it took a little time to fall asleep. I woke up early and relaxed a little before the first exam. After the first few exams, I felt a little drained, but I was expecting it to be worse. By the end of the day, after I completed all the exams, I was pretty exhausted. I just wanted to relax, but we had a rugby game for the women’s team up in Minneapolis the next morning at 7 a.m.

My parents came down to Davenport after my National Boards exam to help me travel to Minneapolis that night and make it to Minnesota for the game. It was the first game of the season. My parents got to watch, and they were really excited to see me and watch me play. I tried to nap as much as possible on the way up Friday night, but I’m not very good at sleeping in cars, so when we arrived I went to bed right away!

Saturday morning, we got ready to leave the hotel, and I got my game face on and prepared for some rugby. With our team using a new strategy and set up on the field, we took this game to test it out and work out any issues. Since we changed our set up it was a little messy, but we still came out of the first half with a few tries. During the second half we cleaned it up a little bit but had a few injuries as we came down to the last few minutes. In the end, we came out with a win with a score of 40 to 15, and it really was a great game where we worked out our new strategy and practiced our communication, defense and more.

After the game, my parents and I headed out to a local pub for some quick food and then got on the road since it was quite a bit of a drive. We got home in time to enjoy some dinner and drinks at a local restaurant, Me & Billy, which is one of my parents’ favorite restaurants in Davenport. The next morning, they unfortunately had to head home since they were traveling to see my sister in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, for the day. I was so thankful for them to help me out that weekend since it was one of the busiest weekends I have had so far. But the next week was “NMS Week” which is also a busy week for students so that Sunday I had a lot of studying to do.

“NMS Week” is a busy week since it includes a practical, an online simulation exam, and also an online written exam in addition to other exams or work we have in our other classes. This class teaches students about different exams and tests that we will perform on patients to determine what may be causing their abnormal symptoms. That week we also had a Geriatrics midterm and a cervical practical at the end of the week. I also have the privilege of attending one of my best friend’s wedding this upcoming weekend in Milwaukee, but I will have to leave Thursday night after practice to make sure I get to the church run-through and rehearsal dinner on time. I’m really excited to spend the day celebrating her next step in her life with her fiancé!

Jennie