Heading into finals … and summer!

Photo of lots of colorful flower bouquets with roses, carnations and daisies.

Bouquets of flowers seem to go hand-in-hand with Mother’s Day.

As the trimester is coming to an end, we are getting a little bit more busy with final quizzes, exams and practicals. But there is always time to celebrate the holidays. For Mother’s Day I decided not to go home since my mom’s birthday was the weekend after, and my dad would be coming home from a fishing trip on her birthday. I still wanted to do something special for her, so I had a vase of flowers specially made for her. My dad was able to pick them up and bring them home for her. She loved the surprise so much she teared up a little. I think it made her more excited for my visit the next weekend.

During the week, we had a few quizzes and assignments in class. In particular for our toggle class. We were able to analyze our own cervical X-ray films to find our possible upper cervical listings. With this we are able to test other findings with scans, palpation and leg checks. At the end of the class our partners are able to adjust us, if the findings show a misalignment. My partner and I have been evaluating each other and will possibly be adjusting one another next week. These will be our first adjustments we will be giving, so we are pretty excited!

The next weekend I was able to travel home to see my family and celebrate my mom’s birthday! I invited my friend to join me since she is from New York, and her family is far away. I also knew her new puppy would love to visit Wisconsin since she had never been, and there is so much open area around my house.

During this visit, we weren’t able to do too many things outdoors due to bad weather with rain and cold temperatures. For dinner we did a traditional Friday fish fry in downtown Madison at one of my favorite restaurants in the area, Dotty Dumplings. The morning of my mom’s birthday I was able to make her breakfast in bed and help her start off her birthday the right way! Unfortunately, I had to head back a little early on Sunday due to the volleyball league I signed up for at a local bar in Moline.

Luckily I made it back right on time for the game, and I found out we were playing two games in one night. I was pretty tired from the car ride but we won three games and lost three games. All in all, it was a fun, good time with friends and volleyball.

This week was a busy week with a few quizzes and our last practical in toggle. For the practical we analyze sample X-rays, findings and scans and with this we will decide what we would adjust and if we could adjust. Then after all the analysis, we set up on a “practice dummy” whose name is Charlie. For the practical, we focus on the patient placement, doctor set up and thrust. Also we have to make sure we have the right adjustment when looking at the films, scans and our findings. I’m nervous but I plan on practicing beforehand so I feel prepared for the practical.

-Jennie