Do you know something Davenport’s known for?

Student blogger Jennie with two friends dressed up in green for St. Patrick's Day

My friends and I had a great time on St. Patrick’s Day.

One thing Davenport is known for is the celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. It is actually the third biggest location in the United States for the celebration, and this was my second time being able to experience St. Pats here in Davenport.

This year I made a last minute decision – literally three days before the event – to run the CASI Quad Cities 5k the morning of the big parade that runs along downtown. Since I’m usually playing some sport — if it’s soccer, rugby or volleyball, I thought that I was probably in good enough shape to run 3.1 miles, but I knew I was going to be aching after. But the run was a lot of fun and it was flat along the whole way, so the race wasn’t as bad as I thought! The next day, after the parade and celebration downtown, I was surprisingly not sore.

The parade is one of the bigger aspects of the holiday and it runs for an hour or two since there are so many participants and it has a long path. A couple friends and I watched half of it, which allowed us to collect a whole neck full of beads and quite a few pieces of candy! Afterwards, my friends and I were able to enjoy some “green” beer and some classic drinks like Guinness and “car bombs.” Since we were out since morning, we went home earlier than usual to get some sleep because we were all so tired. It was definitely a weekend filled with fun, friends, and tons of food and drinks.

In our classes we are already getting great hands-on experience and working with X-rays. In our physical diagnosis class, we have been working with taking a patient’s blood pressure, temperature and pulse. In our toggle class we have been analyzing real X-rays and finding the possible misalignments on our “patient’s” cervical vertebrae.

While classes have been going good so far, I decided to take another class outside of Palmer, which is taught by the Troxell intern program. This program is focused on the Gonstead technique and is there to help students get extra experience and understanding of the technique. In the past trimesters, I have taken the palpation and the X-ray courses and this trimester I will be taking the technique class. It will be nice to get hands-on experience and learn more.

We had our first rugby tournament, which was really excited. We worked really hard and made practices a little longer than usual so we could get as much practice in as possible. With the varying weather that we have here in Davenport, Iowa, our practices have been unpredictably cold, warm, wet and/or snowy, so we are ready for any weather that may come during our upcoming games. Our first tournament was in St. Louis. I had never been to Missouri before, so it was exciting to play together with my team and in a new place.