My big decision

Kaya the tabby kitty in her cat bed

Kaya, my new cat!

As the trimester was coming to a close, I decided to make a big decision! My friend, Callie, was over at my apartment and brought up that her friend from La Crosse, which is where we both went to undergrad, was looking to re-home a cat. I have been interested in getting a pet of some sort since I’m a big animal lover. I decided to contact her friend and get more details, which made me come to the decision on re-homing her cat to my apartment!

Since she was located in my undergrad city, I thought I would visit my friends who still live around there for the time being. So this past weekend I traveled up to La Crosse and had lunch with my friends and we explored our old campus since the UW La Crosse has finished construction on a few buildings since we graduated. I didn’t get to spend too long with my friends since I was traveling back home with my new cat to Davenport that same day. It was really nice to catch up with my friends and to explore our old campus together and reminisce on our old memories.

This past week my new cat has been exploring the apartment and getting comfortable with her surroundings. Luckily her past owner let me bring her cat tower along with her so she recognized it in my room and uses it all the time still. She is getting lots of play time and has gotten many more toys in addition to the ones she was given to take along. We have already created a good bond together, and I think it will be nice to have her around, especially when I’m stressed.

We have been having our usual rugby morning practices at 5:30 a.m., and I have been able to see a real improvement with our team in fitness and also ball-handling skills. I think the new players on the team are doing well and will advance really fast once we are able to get on the field and practice more together. While rugby has been keeping me active, our weekly soccer games have been going pretty good, but we haven’t been able to come out with a win these past couple weeks. This past week we were close, but it ended in a tie. Hopefully tonight we will be able to step it up and come out with a win before finals start.

With finals coming this next week, I have started studying slowly and hope that I don’t have to cram as much later on. I am fortunate the exams are spread out over a few days but it still is a lot of exams in one week. Luckily my friends and I have plans to relax after our final exam and help a couple people move into a new house for the next year. I think we are excited to have a week off to take it easy and prepare for the next trimester of classes. It is crazy to think that after this trimester my class will have completed one whole year already here at Palmer! It feels like it was just yesterday when we started!

-Jennie