‘Twas the week before break …

Student blogger Jennie and her friends posing for a group photo in front of a Christmas tree during their Secret Santa/ugly sweater party

My friends and I at our Secret Santa/ugly sweater party.

The week before Christmas break was a whirlwind of events, exams and lots of fun! First off, we had a few exams, since it was midterm time and we had a two-week break for the holidays.

One thing I really appreciate with our professors is that they usually look at our exam schedules with our other courses, and they try to not overload exams on the same day but spread them out. Once in a while they are many clumped together just due to other events or holidays that come up, but it doesn’t happen too frequently.

I was really happy with the amount of time I spent studying, because it really showed off with the exam grades! I was able to study quite a bit during the week, but I also got to go to my weekly indoor soccer game, have an ugly sweater party with friends in my class, and attend intramural bowling with my team.

The soccer game was really intense and competitive. Both teams were around the same skill level, so it was a close game. My friend and I joked around earlier in the day that this game was going to be the one where we finally scored a goal. I wasn’t expecting to score, though, since I play more in the defense position. During the game, I was able to play as a forward for a bit, and I was actually able to score a goal! I was so happy, and it was an extra bonus since it was the game winning goal. I was fully awake after that exciting game, so I used some of that energy to finish studying for the exams the rest of the week.

Thursday was the big Secret Santa/ugly sweater party where we all brought some food items, wore our ugliest sweaters and exchanged gifts. The gifts ranged from clothing and candy to a handmade wooden sign and a winter beanie. I choose my friend Jake for Secret Santa, and I know he loves Sriracha, so I decided I had to get him Sriracha socks and to-go Sriracha keychains. The best part about the gift exchange was that I found out my friend, Jake, chose me and got me a Sriracha shirt! Everyone thought it was really funny how similar our gifts were to each other. After the party we attended our weekly bowling game! Almost every team was wearing ugly Christmas sweaters due to the holidays being the next week. All in all, we did really good in our three games and ended the night with some fun!

-Jennie