Transitioning from 2nd to 3rd trimester classes

Coming from 2nd trimester to 3rd trimester there is a change in the course load and timing for the schedule. It is a relief to be done with anatomy labs, but you spend more time in lecture throughout the week. Most days we have classes back to back so a lot of the professors use methods during class to keep us students engaged. This week in Physiology III, we were able to listen to a heartbeat while matching up the different pressure values that occur to open the chambers and let the blood flow in and out of the heart. It allowed us to interact within the classroom while still understanding and learning the material. I know this trimester will keep me on my feet with class material but the professors are helpful with understanding the material and the extra tutor sessions help review and assist you with any problems you may have.

Since joining the Rugby Club here at Palmer, I realized I wanted to continue playing sports during the off season. When I started my third trimester, I decided I would play indoor soccer with a few friends in my class! I knew it would be fun, it would be good exercise and also continue to help maintain a good schedule when balancing my health and academics.

When we had our first game, boy, was I nervous! I hadn’t played soccer in a couple years, so I had a strong feeling I would be rusty for it. I started playing the game as goalie, since it was my position throughout my undergrad years and it went much better than I expected. Most of the teammates are also going to Palmer, and as a team everyone works really well together on the field. We started off on a good note at halftime as the score was 3 to 0. During the game everyone subs out when needed and each player usually plays different positions.

I was surprised on how versatile each player was on the field, and it really encouraged me to get out of my comfort box while playing. We finished the game strong by scoring a couple more goals and ending the game with a final score of 5 to 0. It felt great to be back in the sport again and also having fun with students in different classes at Palmer. Plus, it was a perfect end to the night with a win!

Over my first few trimesters here, I have come to appreciate the students I go to school with and have learned what a great community Palmer is. While playing sports here you get to connect with students that you don’t get to see or connect with everyday due to the different courses for each trimester.