Alumni Florida Campus Male Olympics Private Practice Professional Sports

Josh Axe, D.C.

Josh Axe, D.C., DNM, CNS has built a successful chiropractic practice, cared for Olympic athletes, authored several books, hosted a nationally-syndicated radio show, appears regularly on national TV, and has one of the top 25 natural health websites in the world. Despite all that he does, he still took the time to answer a few questions.

Josh with a classmate at Palmer's Port Orange campus

Josh with mentor Dr. Ben Lerner at Palmer’s Port Orange campus

Q: Dr. Axe, how has your chiropractic training impacted your work as a leader in natural health and wellness?

A: My chiropractic training has directly influenced everything I do in the health and wellness space. My mom was very sick, struggling with cancer, Hashimoto’s disease and depression. She tried to go the traditional medicine route, taking antidepressants and other meds and going through chemotherapy, but it only made things worse. When she took a natural approach to her health through chiropractic care, we witnessed the life-saving impact that proper nutrition and chiropractic can have.

I was—and still am—inspired by my mother’s story, and I wanted to be able to provide the same life-changing care for others that my mom had received. At Palmer, I learned how to address and treat the root cause of illness, instead of just managing symptoms. By learning how to address emotional health, spinal misalignment, poor nutrition and other issues, I have been able to treat people through a natural and holistic approach.

[Editor’s note: You can watch Mrs. Axe tell her story on YouTube.]

Q: What advice do you have for a college student interested in chiropractic?

A: First, have a big vision. Your chiropractic degree will open doors to do so much, whether that’s operating a small or large clinic, coaching clients in nutrition and exercise or doing research. The sky really is the limit. So spend some time thinking about your ideal career and don’t be afraid to shoot for it. Then, when you’re clear about what you want to achieve, spend some more time looking at what other people are doing in that space. Model your approach after their successes, but be sure to put your own, unique spin on it. And be careful to avoid their mistakes as well.

Dr. Axe at the 2012 Olympic Games

Dr. Axe at the 2012 Olympic Games

Second, surround yourself with the right people. You become like the five people you surround yourself with most, so be careful of those you get close to. You want to be around—and learn from—people who are successful, hard working and driven. Find a good mentor. Look for good internships. And even after you graduate, make sure you continue to learn.

Third, be the best at what you do. You’ll never achieve true success by being a copycat. You have to be unique to stand out in today’s crowded market. No matter what career path you choose, one of the most effective ways to be unique and stand out is to be the best. Commit to doing what you do better than everyone else and you’re guaranteed to succeed.

Finally, become a great business owner. No matter how great a chiropractor or nutritionist or health coach you are, you’re going to also have to learn how to be a good business owner, and a major part of being a good business owner is learning how to effectively market your service and/or products. Don’t be afraid to get involved with chiropractic coaching groups so you can learn from and bounce ideas off other chiropractors. And you should always be reading (I love Good to Great by Jim Collins) on leadership and business ownership.

Q: Do you still maintain a chiropractic practice?  Why/why not?

A: I don’t. I have been so blessed by the success of DrAxe.com that, instead of just seeing middle-Tennessee-based patients, I can now reach millions of people living all around the world. I absolutely love being able to impact so many people and share this incredible message of natural healing and nutrition. [Editor’s note: Dr. Axe founded Exodus Health Center in 2008,  which quickly grew to more than 1,000 patients seen per week, making it one of the largest natural health clinics in the United States, but he has since sold the practice to focus on DrAxe.com.]

Q: What do you expect to see in the future for chiropractic and the health-care professions?

A: It’s probably not a surprise based on the success I’ve had online, but I see the internet playing a big role in the future of chiropractic care and health care in general. We’re already seeing the rise of telemedicine in traditional health care. I can totally see chiropractors opening virtual clinics so they can treat people in the comfort of their own home. Chiropractors will also do more online consults and online marketing to help spread the word about their unique offerings. Finally, the internet is going to continue to empower patients. People will be able to find even more resources through articles, videos, etc., so that they can educate themselves and make better decisions about their own health.

Q: Finally, what inspires you to do all that you do?

A: First, I recognize that God has given me one life to live and I want to honor Him with it. It is my mission to use the gifts He’s given me to help other people live their best lives. And as I mentioned previously, my mom is a huge inspiration in the work that I do. She is now in her 60s and running 5Ks. She feels better now than she did in her 30s, and it is primarily because of her chiropractic care. I want people around the world to experience that same kind of transformation.

You can learn more about Dr. Axe in Palmer Insights. To learn more about business training available at Palmer, visit our Center for Business Development.  For more about a career in chiropractic, visit www.Palmer.edu.

One comment

• Kayln
    September 19, 2016 - 9:58 am | Permalink

The best part I liked reading here is that your mom is a huge inspiration in your work.
    God bless you and your Mom!

Thanks,
    Kayln

http://dnhp.ca