FLORIDA CAMPUS TO REOPEN SEPT. 18 – Clinics and campus will open when power is restored
9/13/17 – 11:13 a.m. EDT (updated)
As you’re aware, restoring power to our campus has been a challenge and Palmer administration (local and system-wide) has been coordinating with several entities to get all matters resolved as quickly as possible. Assuming power is restored in the near future, the following information will be helpful regarding the remainder of the term and will serve as a guide as you make your way safely back to campus.
- Students are to report to campus and clinics on Monday, Sept. 18
- We’ll follow the regular posted final exam schedule. If you’re unsure of your examination date/time, refer to your course syllabus.
- Check Brightspace regularly for information from your instructors as to your focus of study.
- Given the circumstances, your instructors, along with their respective associate deans and clinic directors, will make every attempt to ensure your overall grade is fair and equitable in the absence of week 10.
- Please check the Palmer website regularly for further updates.
- If you have questions about this information, please contact Director of Students Services Jason Brewer via email at Jason.firstname.lastname@example.org
- IF POWER IS RESTORED: Academic faculty are to report to campus on Friday, Sept. 15 at 9 a.m. for department meetings regarding final examinations. Clinic faculty are to report for their scheduled shifts on Monday, Sept. 18.
- IF NO POWER FRIDAY: Report to campus for regularly scheduled exams on Monday, Sept. 18.
- Additional communication to faculty will be made by their respective Associate Dean or Clinic Director.
- Staff will report to work on Monday, Sept. 18, for regular business hours.
9/12/17 – 12:150 p.m. EDT
Florida campus clinics have lost power and won’t open Wednesday as planned
The Florida campus clinics, which had power yesterday, lost power this morning and won’t open tomorrow, Wednesday, Sept. 13, as planned. The Florida campus and its clinics will remain closed until power is restored.
Administrators are working on a plan to accommodate the academic interruption for students on the Florida campus, and more information will be available this afternoon.
9/11/17 – 2:53 p.m. EDT
Power has been restored to the Florida campus clinics, and they will reopen for usual hours on Wednesday, Sept. 13.
There is still no power on the campus. It will reopen and classes will resume once power has been restored.
We understand that not everyone will be able to return to the clinics by Wednesday morning. Patient care will resume with available staff, faculty and interns.
9/11/17 – 12:48 a.m. EDT
Florida and Davenport campus administrators met to assess the effects of Hurricane Irma on the Florida campus. Currently power is out, and Florida Power & Light is working to restore power as soon as possible.
The safety of our students, employees and patients is our number one concern.
Once power is restored, the Florida campus community will be updated on the expected reopening of the campus and clinics.
For those who evacuated long distances, we understand that travel may be difficult or take some time. The College will take this into consideration and will work with students to accommodate the academic interruption.
9/11/17 – 12:27 a.m. EDT
The Florida campus and clinics will remain closed at least through Tuesday due to effects of Hurricane Irma. Updates will be provided via Palmer Alert, the Palmer website, Florida app and social media.
9/8/17 – 1:41 p.m. EDT
9/7/17 – 10:15 a.m. EDT
Hurricane update: The Florida campus and clinics are closed through Monday, Sept. 11, due to Hurricane Irma. Updates will be posted on the website and via other Palmer communication channels.
9/6/17 – 11:15 a.m. EDT
Palmer College of Chiropractic’s Florida-campus classes will be canceled as of 12:20 p.m. (EDT) today due to the expected weather emergency associated with Hurricane Irma. The Palmer Clinics will close at their usual time today.
The campus and clinics will be closed Thursday through Sunday.
If you have visitors coming to campus, please contact them directly to let them know the campus will be closed.
If you plan to evacuate the area, information about shelters is online. Please inform your family and friends of your plans and destination.
Check for updates from the College throughout the weekend.
9/5/17 – 5 p.m. EDT
Palmer College of Chiropractic is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Irma, which is currently a category 5 storm heading toward the Caribbean.
Should there be a potential for the Port Orange area to be impacted, a decision could be made to close campus. That decision will be communicated via Palmer Alert, social media, email and the Palmer website.
Now is the time to prepare, not panic.
Take precautions, such as developing an evacuation plan or building a hurricane safety kit, to ride out the storm. A good hurricane safety kit should allow you to survive on your own for 72 hours and include basic survival essentials like water, food, communication tools and flashlights.
Your safety remains Palmer’s No. 1 priority. We’ll continue to track Hurricane Irma via the National Weather Service, and we’ll make decisions with your well-being in mind.
More information about Hurricane Irma and emergency preparedness can be found at: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.