Clinic rotations get us ready for outpatient care

Dr. Marriott and a student intern with a patient in the AHC

We have several rotations we have to complete before we are able to clear for the AHC (Academic Health Center clinic) and start working with outpatients. Those are radiology, rehab, outreach and front desk. We also have to observe several adjustments under the staff doctor we to which we are assigned. We do the rotations so we can get a feel for all of the departments we will be going into. Last week I did my radiology, outreach, front desk and clinic II rotations. The only one I have left to do is my rehab rotation.

First I had my radiology rotation. We went down into the AHC radiology department, got a tour and got to see how the machines worked. They are a bit different from the CHC (the student clinic, the Campus Health Center) X-ray machines so we got to move them around a bit and just see how they work. I am glad we did too, because today I had to take impromptu X-rays down there, and I am glad I knew how to work the machines.

We then got to look over some films and go over some cool or unusual cases that had come up through the clinic system, which was good practice. We finished up the last part by sitting in on Dr. McLean’s X-ray reading for local field doctors. This part was really awesome. It was great practice and exposure to reading X-rays, and Dr. McLean was really helpful in answering our questions and helping us just read the images better.

After radiology rotation, I sat in on the front dest rotation. This is just getting some extra exposure to what the ladies at the front desk do all day. Let me tell you, it’s a lot more than scheduling. They are all in charge of bigger projects that need to be done each day and sorting through paperwork and billing, on top of the demands of the interns to get patients scheduled and to check out equipment. Don’t take these ladies for granted! And be patient with them. They are wonderful and do a lot for you.

The last rotation I went to was in the outreach clinic in Davenport. It’s located on 6th and Harrison and is available for patient care for people who can’t afford care. From what I understand there are guidelines to qualify for care at this facility, but it’s a great asset to the community and it allows the students to help out in another clinic setting. It was a little slow while I was there but picked up and got pretty busy at the end of my shift.

I really enjoyed all of the rotations and observations I did and thought they were a great learning tool. I was really glad we had to do them before we get over into the outpatient clinic. I felt like it better prepared us for what we have to do and gave us a better idea of what our options were for the coming year.

-Allisha