BaconPalooza … and studying for boards

Burlington BaconPalooza

News clipping featuring my bacon-eating friend, Dave.

Last weekend was the first weekend I was able to get away from school for a little bit in about a month, so I went back home to spend some time with family.

We had a very belated birthday party for me and my soon-to-be sister-in-law. It was nice to be able to have a a family get-together after such a busy month of school and clinic preparations.

Saturday a couple friends from school drove down to Burlington to join me at the first ever Burlington BaconPalooza for all things bacon-related. We had bacon mac and cheese, bacon poppers, bacon cookies, bacon tater tots, flavored bacon, bacon popcorn and bacon-wrapped meat. The best part was when my friend, Dave Connick (6th trimester), entered the bacon-eating contest. He was challenged to eat pounds of bacon in five minutes. Without any doubt he, of course, won. He took home the trophy and a bag of bacon-flavored popcorn that was the size of me.

Is this bacon heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Is this bacon heaven? No, it’s Iowa.

It was a lot of fun and nice for me because it took place in my hometown, but it was also not too far away so my friends from Davenport could come down and enjoy the festivities.

Saturday night was just as exciting. I had a family get-together will all of my family members that I don’t get to see very often, plus a cousin I had never met before. I left after the get-together to get back to Davenport so I could get in some quality boards studying on Sunday.

That’s exactly what I did all day. Granted, I didn’t wake up until after 1 p.m., but from then on, I studied most of the day. Unfortunately, that’s all I’ve been doing with my free time this week. Can’t study too much for boards, that’s for sure.

-Allisha