Pow! Right to the face!

Pow! Right to the face!

This has been my second official week in the student clinic. It has been very, very busy. I can’t tell you much about seeing patients, but I will say it has been a really nice change. It’s really cool to finally be putting it all together and working in the clinic. It’s crazy to think I’m already here. I’ve said this many times, but it seem like just last week I was starting first trimester.

So I have to tell a small story about my first patient experience. She told me I have to write about it in this blog or she would be really upset. I won’t give out much information because of the very important HIPPA laws, but I can tell you sort of what happened.

So everything was going smoothly. Her previous intern was in there to show me the ropes and give me some pointers, which was very nice. After I had done my work-up and was getting ready to get the table set-up how I wanted for maximum mechanical advantage. Basically, at this point, I was lowering the leg raiser bar. I bent down slightly to grab it, and she must have realized what I was doing … and in an effort to help me out, she lifted her legs and kicked me right in my face!

She said, “Was that your face?” I calmly responded, “Yup, that was my face,” and we laughed for a least 10 minutes about it. It has now become an ongoing joke every time I see her. It was incredibly funny and a great story to tell for my  first patient encounter. Luckily, she didn’t kick me too hard. It didn’t hurt, and I was left unscathed, but just a heads-up if you’re going to move a leg raiser bar, stay out of the kick zone.

Fortunately, I haven’t been kicked again. I’d say I learned from that mistake. Regardless, it has been a lot of fun, and I’m excited to be seeing patients everyday.

-Allisha