Side posture adjustment

Side posture adjustment (this is Palmer grad Dr. Christine Gonos-Boyd from her site BoydChiroClinic.com)

Yesterday was another find-and-fix-it day in my thoraco-lumbar class. We were able to adjust using any technique we were taught, but I wanted to get some practice with side posture since I hadn’t had any yet and it’s one of the more difficult techniques.

Luckily enough my patient had a lumbar listing at L4, so I was ready to give a shot. Turns out I need a lot of practice with side posture. It doesn’t look easy, and it’s really not that easy. I tried both a push and a pull move and wasn’t very good at either. I was struggling to figure out the mechanics of the thrust with the pull move, and by the time I went to try the push, I was a little frustrated and felt a little defeated. I didn’t feel like I had much luck with the push either, but I had some good thrusts so we did some post checks on my patient and she had better range of motion. Plus, the nervoscope showed there had been some change, and her body was adapting. So all the of checks said I had made some change. Sadly it doesn’t feel as satisfying if you don’t get the cavitation and if you know you have crappy form.

I know I’ll get better, and I really shouldn’t have expected to have it figured out on the first try, but you also have to accept that things don’t always go the way you planned. I’m excited to get more practice. I’m happy I now know what I should focus on. and I appreciate the help and advice I was given to be more successful. Not that I wasn’t successful. My patient did show adaptation, and for that I am happy.

Keep on trying and don’t give up! You can’t get better if you don’t keep trying.

-Allisha