The library has been part of Palmer since at least 1904, originally located at 828 Brady Street. The library had 897 volumes at this point, enclosed in “Globe-Wernecke Book Case Units” and by 1911 the library’s collection had grown to several
thousand volumes. The Library was located in the B.J. Palmer classroom building during the 1920s and 1930s, and later the D.D. Palmer memorial building, before moving to the top floor of the Administrative building in 1957.
The Library was once again relocated to the B.J. Palmer classroom building until the completion of the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library in 1977. During this time, in an effort to gain accreditation, students, alumni, faculty and staff expanded the library’s collection to over 25,000 volumes through book drives. With an expanding collection, a new library was needed and construction on the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library began in 1975. Long winters and labor strikes prolonged the project.
The Library took two years to complete and in 1977, David D. Palmer sealed the cornerstone, and the library, named in his honor, was officially open to the Palmer community.