Palmer kicked off National Chiropractic Health Month with its Evidence in Action & Research event on October 1, 2013. On hand were College and Research faculty and staff who were available to discuss the numerous posters and peer-reviewed articles that were on display in the Palmer Skywalk. In addition, students were able to learn more about research opportunities such as the Research Honors and Master of Science in Clinical Research programs offered at Palmer. To read more about Palmer’s research activities in chiropractic, visit the Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research (PCCR) web site or download the latest Research Report. Resources on Evidence-Based Clinical Practice (EBCP) are also available online.
The first chiropractic adjustment by D.D. Palmer is designated as September 18, 1895, and is commemorated by an historical marker in downtown Davenport near the site of the former Ryan Building wherein Dr. Palmer treated Harvey Lillard, the first chiropractic patient. In the video above, Chancellor Dennis Marchiori invites everyone to share their plans for Founder’s Day, which will be celebrated on Palmer’s Davenport campus on Tuesday, September 17th. There will be a wreath-laying ceremony and brief presentations by Provost Dan Weinert and Ms. Vickie Palmer, great-granddaughter of D.D. Palmer and member of the Palmer Board of Trustees. Many resources about the history of chiropractic can be found in Special Collections and Archives in the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library.
Palmer’s annual Homecoming provided an exciting opportunity to connect and reconnect with students, alumni, educators, and many others from the Palmer community. Participants travelled from around the United States and even from abroad to attend the three-day event held August 8-10, 2013 at the Davenport campus.
Palmer Library was represented in the Exhibit Hall by an historical display of materials drawn from Special Collections and Archives. Some of the themes presented include the centennial of chiropractic licensure, the centennial of the Delta Sigma Chi fraternity, as well as early images of Palmer and its first Lyceum, which took place in 1914 (meaning another centennial milestone in chiropractic is on its way!).
Sonnet Busen, a Library Assistant in Access Services, is pictured here helping at the Library’s booth. Rosemary Riess, the Library Assistant in Special Collections and Archives, staffed the department’s Reading Room in the Library and fullfilled numerous reference requests from Homecoming visitors, many accompanied by family members, including prospective students.
Palmer College’s ”Articulating Spine” has long been a crowdpleaser at the annual Bix 7 race. The course begins with a long, steep ascent up Brady Street, and the vertebral discs-with-legs pictured above are just at the top of the hill, which is also the heart of the Davenport campus.
The Bix 7 is a seven-mile race that began in 1975 with only 84 runners, including 3 female entries. Lucian Rosa of Sri Lanka won the inaugural men’s race in a time of 34:33.8; Kim Merritt of Wisconsin won the first women’s race in 41:04. Today the number of runners tallies nearly 20,000, and the overall course records have been lowered to 31:51.99 (men) and 35:24 (women). A history of each race is available online.
We wish all participants, including Palmer’s Spinal Column, the best during this year’s Bix 7, which will take place on Saturday, July 27, 2013.
Note: the top picture is from Bix 7 2002; the bottom picture is from Bix 7 1996.
Drawing its Greek letters from “Doctors of Straight Chiropractic,” the Delta Sigma Chi professional fraternity was established at the Palmer School of Chiropractic 100 years ago today. On July 14, 1913, the first meeting of interested students took place to make plans, elect temporary officers, and appoint a committee to prepare a constitution and bylaws. A few days later, on July 18, a follow-up meeting was held in which the new organization assumed its name, Delta Sigma Chi, and adopted a constitution and bylaws.
The 1918 Hand Book of the Delta Sigma Chi Fraternity thus considers July 18, 1913 as the founding date of the group. Charter membership for the Alpha Chapter, or parent chapter, was initially limited to twelve men, and later expanded to 20 men in August 1913. Among the charter members listed in the 1918 Hand Book are 6 from the Davenport College of Chiropractic, 8 from the Universal College of Chiropractic, and 5 from the Palmer School of Chiropractic; 1 unnamed member was expelled.
As articulated in Article III of its Constitution, membership was “open to all men of good moral character who are under-graduates, graduates, or faculty members in a school or college of Chiropractic of recognized standing, subject to election according to By-Laws.” B.J. Palmer, the president of the Palmer School of Chiropractic, was “initiated into the mysteries of the order” on November 6, 1913, and subsequently unanimously elected as Honorary President on January 14, 1918.
The aims of the fraternity are described in the 1918 Hand Book as follows: “A big clean wholesome profession composed of clean broadminded men to become leaders in their various communities and to build the Chiropractic profession as strong as Gibralter—to sweep Chiropractic on to that magnificent future which is hers if we but co-operate steadfastly—these are the motives of the Delta Sigma Chi Fraternity.”
While the fraternity is rightly celebrated one of the earliest chiropractic organizations to ever be established, it was in fact preceded by Palmer’s own Sigma Phi Chi sorority. Founded by Mabel Palmer in 1911, the sorority still maintains the distinction as the oldest chiropractic organization in the world.
Note: The composite photograph featured above dates from 1915 and is the earliest available group portrait of the fraternity. For more information on Delta Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Chi, and other Palmer student organizations, please visit Special Collections & Archives in Palmer Library.
Baseball season is upon us! Chiropractic and baseball have had a strong association throughout the years. In “Baseball & Chiropractic: Maturing Together” (Chiropractic History, vol. 29., no. 1, 2009, pp. 15-18), Steven Parker, D.C., states: “. . . throughout the twentieth century, baseball’s professional athletes came to rely on chiropractic for both the treatment and prevention of injuries. Today, chiropractic has become an integral part of the healthcare team within professional sports.” Parker describes players such as pitcher Mordecai “Three-Finger” Brown, who he speculates as being in 1911 the first professional athlete to receive chiropractic treatment. The Hall of Famers Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, and Lou Gehrig are also known to have benefited from chiropractic treatment throughout their careers.
The image here is of the Palmer School of Chiropractic (P.S.C.) baseball team in 1938. Student Daze, the 1938 yearbook, details the 1937-38 baseball season as very successful despite the hot weather and the “disadvantage of the fairer sex attracting the attention of a few of our outstanding players.” At this time, Palmer played in the same league as the U.S. Engineers, French and Hecht, Firestone, Victor, International Harvester, and the Y.M.C.A. Reserves. Team leaders for the season included Wolfe with a .385 batting average and 4 home runs, Clements and Rising with 13 singles, and Schmidt with 19 runs batted in.
Interested in being a sports chiropractor? Consider joining the Professional Baseball Chiropractic Society, which was founded in 1995 “to integrate chiropractic into professional sports and build a network of practitioners to call on.” To learn more about chiropractors for successful teams, check out “St. Louis Cardinals: Primed for a Pennant” (Today’s Chiropractic, vol. 30, no. 3, 2001, pp. 34-38). The article contains a fascinating interview with Dr. Ralph Filson, who followed in his father’s footsteps to become the team chiropractor for the Cardinals. In an interview on the American Chiropractic Association web site, Michael Trancedi, D.C., discusses what it was like to be a sports chiropractor with the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2008 World Series Championship.
To see original archival material which documents Palmer’s own baseball team through time, as well as resources concerning other sports, visit Special Collections and Archives in the Library today.
Published by the Work Loss Data Institute, the Official Disability Guidelines (ODG) database includes Treatment Guidelines, Return-to-Work Guidelines, and Impairment Guidelines, among other information, and provides “up to date evidence-based medical treatment and disability duration guidelines to improve as well as benchmark outcomes in workers’ comp and non-occupational disability.” The ODG database is accessible for each Palmer campus via the “Databases” section of the Library’s web site.
This resource is important to chiropractors because in late 2002, the Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters (CCGPP) approached the Work Loss Data Institute about researching and authoring treatment guidelines for the chiropractic profession. Since 2006, new chiropractic guidelines have been incorporated in the updated documentation of the ODG.
Chiropractic is playing an increasingly important role in helping injured workers recover and return to productivity, and the costs of chiropractic are growing as a total percentage of workers’ compensation costs. To learn more about the ODG, check out “A DC Insider’s Guide to the Official Disability Guidelines” in Dynamic Chiropractic, which explains the resource and discusses why chiropractors should become familiar with it. —Phyllis Harvey
At Palmer College of Chiropractic, book spine poetry takes on added meaning. The example pictured here to celebrate National Poetry Month features just a few of the thousands of volumes housed in Special Collections and Archives. For those new to the genre, book spine poetry is, according to the American Library Association (ALA), “a poem composed using the spines of books stacked on one another to create a free verse poem.” Thus, through adept spinal adjustment, we have:
How To Get Well
Old Dad Chiro
B.J. of Davenport
The Palmer Technique of Chiropractic
Palmer Library contains a variety of poetic works, and Special Collections and Archives has several volumes that relate to chiropractic, such as Twentieth Century Zephyrs; or Reminiscences of Chiropractic (1916), Paths around Palmer (1958), and Chiropractic in Four Seasons (1998). In addition, we have the volume, P.S.C. and Other Poems, by William H. Rauchfuss, D.C. Valedictorian of his class, Rauchfuss hailed from Paterson, New Jersey, and graduated from Palmer in 1920. Modestly produced with typewritten carbon-copies, the book contains such gems as “Frat Yells” and “Sorority Yells,” which conclude with the following stanzas, respectively:
Ye-ow! Ye-ow! me-oh-my!
Delta Sigma Chi! Yi-yi!
Chiro! chiro! absolute-lee!
We yell like hell for the P.S.C.!
Yip, yap! Mabel! B.J.!
Sublux! Palpate! this is our cry—
We are the gals of the Delta Phi Chi!
With spring finally arriving in Iowa, may everyone enjoy such exuberance and perhaps add their own versifying—chiropractic or otherwise—to the literary canon.
Phyllis Harvey, M.Ln., is Collection Management Librarian at Palmer’s Davenport campus. Even though based in Iowa, Phyllis manages the Library’s collections for all three Palmer campuses, work which encompasses the acquisition of books, audiovisuals, and journals, as well as the maintenance of electronic database contracts. She also administers a number of the tools the Library offers users, such as the A to Z eJournal List and the proxy service for off-campus access to electronic resources.
Another significant component of Phyllis’ duties is the provision of reference services. All told, Phyllis has over 15 years of experience answering users’ questions and performing literature searches. Among Phyllis’ contributions to the chiropractic profession is her volunteer service since 2002 as Editor of the Index to Chiropractic Literature, an invaluable and heavily utilized online resource for students, faculty, clinicians, and researchers.
In her leisure time, Phyllis is an avid reader of fiction. She also loves spending time walking around her family’s farm and helping to care for their current pets, which include cats and horses. Phyllis is pictured here with her beloved horse, Flash, who sadly expired in February.
Continuing with the Women’s History Month celebrations, we of course need to highlight Mabel H. Palmer, D.C., Ph.C., an anatomist and foremost woman chiropractor who is much heralded in the chiropractic field. She was a leader and inspiration to female chiropractors, successfully combining her role as wife and mother with teaching at Palmer for over four decades.
Mabel founded the oldest chiropractic organization in the world, the Sigma Phi Chi Sorority, and authored the first chiropractic anatomy textbook, Anatomy (1918). Her influence is also evident by her pamphlet, “A Woman’s Appeal to Women,” which was published in the early 1920s and is available in Palmer’s Special Collections and Archives.
In this pamphlet Mabel encourages women to consider a career in chiropractic. She states, “Never before has there been such wonderful opportunities to women for practical service; and in my opinion, there is no other profession in the whole world so splendidly adapted to women as CHIROPRACTIC.” She asks women to “think of the children” and to tap into their “feminine qualities of patience and sympathy” in order to help the ailing and ultimately “to grow intellectually, socially and financially.”
The Appeal also states emphatically that “The World Needs Thousands of Women Chiropractors,” and Mabel’s own example contributed greatly to the influx of women at Palmer and in the wider chiropractic profession. Palmer has been very active in recruiting women over the years and has continued to graduate many female chiropractors in each successive class. To read further about Mabel’s influence on women in the chiropractic field, visit the library to consult “The First 100 Years of Women in Chiropractic” in Today’s Chiropractic (vol. 24, no. 1, 1995) and “Women in Chiropractic: The Past and the Present” in the ICA Review (vol. 52, no. 4, 1996). —Rosemary Riess