A Reflection on Part 1 Boards

National Boards is about studying, studying, studying.

The weeks before Part 1 Boards were pretty crazy. Fifth trimester was just starting up, and our class load that tri was fairly substantial. At the same time as this, we were all feeling pressure to review everything we have learned over the past year here at Palmer so as to prepare for Boards.

The days were long. I would be up at 5 or 6 a.m. to get ready for the day, sometimes going for a run or heading to the gym to clear my head before a long day of school and studying. Classes this trimester start at 7:30 a.m. and go until 4 p.m., so the day was long already and then after all this I would find a study room and start reading through review material until about 10 p.m. each night. This was a pattern for the first three weeks of the trimester.

It felt like there were so many concepts and details to go through, and the more you dove in to learn something, the more information there seemed to be and it was almost overwhelming to think of all the questions they could ask.

It is a bit of a game studying for Boards. There are things you focus on because professors and other students and even review classes will tell you certain things that boards will focus on and that you should know a certain thing really well. So the entire time you are studying, you’re trying to learn all the exceptions and rules and trying to guess what things seems more important to know that they would ask.

The stress was high for sure, but I think it’s good to be a little stressed about doing well, I think this means you care about it. You want to do well, and it’s important to you, so you worry and you stress, which helps you to focus and move through all the review material.

Overall the studying was good. Going over some things made me feel really smart, and it helped me to start putting things into a bigger picture instead of just small details. It has proved to me how much I have learned and how far I have come in a year and made me really proud of myself.

I hope all my classmates feel that way after taking Part 1 Boards. And if you haven’t yet, I hope you feel like that when your time comes.

-Kailey