As I reminisce about my first year at Palmer West, I realize that I have only just begun this chiropractic journey.  Being a student in a chiropractic school you understand that the field is progressing so rapidly that what you PALMERPALOOZA 2013-Z28learned last year could be negated next year. What you tested on to be the “truth” will only be proven incorrect in the next upcoming research and the information provided to you is somewhat negotiable. Isn’t that the fun of the field? Nobody chose chiropractic as a career choice thinking, “ I’d love to sit in an office all day; edit papers, write emails and make phone calls to people that don’t really want to talk to me.” We entered this field knowing that its internal upheaval only leaves room for more progress and more creativity. Think about it…you can be any kind of chiropractor you want once you have that certificate, you can see as many or as little patients a day as you’d like, you can specialize in rehab, weight loss, functionality, chronic pain, endocrine, etc. People in pain need help and we have the potential to have a tool belt overflowing with some of chiropractics greatest tools. So my advice, look at each subject, each club meeting, each certification course and each seminar as a way to add another tool to your growing tool belt. If something disagrees with your philosophy or negates what you were taught last quarter, research it and debate it. The best way to add tools to your belt is to prove that you know how to use them.

Jennifer Drivick
San Jose, Calif. Campus