It’s July 5th, 2010, and I am sitting in W216 (West Hall) with about 142 other first trimester students at Palmer College of Chiropractic as we enjoy the activities of orientation. I look around and wonder how on earth I am going to make it through this program. Luckily, I have first generation iPad with me and think that it will be a big key to my success here. Looking back, that thought was very, very prophetic. Since that day, I have upgraded my iPad a couple times and still use it on a daily basis in every class.

Now I am not presuming that an iPad is essential to everyone’s success at Palmer, but for those like me who love technology, I highly recommend one. I believe that not only will it serve you well while in school, I believe that it will have great use in my future practice with electronic health records and tracking patient care. But let’s get back to classes at Palmer and how an iPad can help you each and every day.

I want to tell you about three specific apps and how I feel they have made my life at Palmer a whole lot easier.

The first app that I use on my iPad to take notes every day with is called iAnnotate PDF. This app allows me to take notes just as if they were on paper but instead of having to print out notes from on the student portal and carry around multiple binders with note sets in them, I carry all my notes around in my iPad. I can highlight, jot down notes in the margin, bookmark important pages and create stamps for my notes. Believe me, it’s a lot lighter and more convenient. The other great thing about taking notes on an iPad like I do is that through iAnnotate PDF, I can search for specific subjects within the app as opposed to flipping through pages of printed notes.

The second app that I use is Flashcards. My first year at Palmer, I made well over a thousand flashcards. Thanks to this app, I didn’t need to carry around stacks of flashcards, but I kept them all in my iPad and even synced them to my iPhone so I always had them to study no matter where I was. And if I made a mistake on one of my flashcards, I didn’t have to throw that card away, I just edited it and kept on studying.

The third and final app that I have used through every trimester at Palmer is called iHomework. This app allows me to set up my schedule for all my classes with classroom assignments, teacher contact info and the ability to track all my grades. I always liked to know where I was as each trimester progressed, and it was especially helpful when finals rolled around.

Now the last thing that I wanted to mention is that recently Palmer invested in upgrading the wifi all over campus, and that makes using an iPad even better because now I can look up info while a teacher is lecturing on a subject if I feel I need more info rather than make a note to look it up later.

I definitely recommend that you invest in an iPad before you start. It has made my life a lot easier while I’ve been here, and I know that it will make yours easier as well.