Classes are back … and so is the smell of freshly sharpened pencils

I have a love/hate relationship with the first day of school. I have just experienced my fourth first day of school at Palmer, and our relationship status might read “it’s complicated.” If you are currently an undergraduate or high school student, you either stretch summer as long as possible and loathe getting into routine again, or you buy school supplies in July and pack your backpack two weeks ahead of time. I am the latter, therefore if you are the latter, don’t be ashamed.

You know the part in the movie “You’ve Got Mail” where Meg Ryan gushes about bouquets of newly sharpened pencils? That’s me. The part I love the most about beginning a new trimester is the refreshing intrigue of new classes and “can do'” attitude everyone has in their heart. Not to mention, students at Palmer look much nicer when they’ve actually gotten a healthy amount of sleep for the past 2 weeks.

The part I dislike about the first day of school is reading the syllabus and not lecturing. Get out of my way, syllabus, I have things to learn! This routine is the same in every school on the first day, and many people (many with more education and fancy letters after their names) have told me that this part is necessary, so somewhere in my brain I believe them. Love or hate, my favorite part of this particular first day of 4th trimester was the collective sigh of relief and pleasant smiles as my class welcomed some our favorite returning professors.

There are instructors at Palmer that you are allowed to–and should–adore. I genuinely believe I have had some of the world’s best instructors in my first year at Palmer, and I am excited to learn from what I know will be many more wonderful faculty in my next 6 trimesters.