Taking on Toggle-Recoil

At Palmer, fourth trimester is a student’s entry into actual adjusting classes. The first of these classes is Toggle-Recoil. The Toggle-Recoil technique was developed by B.J .Palmer, so it is something that we value at Palmer College of Chiropractic.

B.J. named Toggle-Recoil the “hole-in-one” technique based upon the anatomy of the C1 and C2 vertebrae: The dens of C2 fits perfectly through the bony ring of atlas. B.J. quoted in his green book, “A History in the Making:” The only place there CAN BE cord pressure is where the COMPLETE CORD is . . .” The area of the COMPLETE CORD is at the level of occiput, C1, and C2; basically at the base of the skull. If this area is subluxated, then mental impulse to the rest of the body is hindered. Therefore, Toggle is an upper cervical technique where C1 and C2 are the only segments that get adjusted.

The most important part of a Toggle-Recoil adjustment is the recoil. After thrusting, a quick recoil allows the C1 vertebra to vibrate/oscillate within its normal range until equilibration is reached.

So far, we have learned x-ray analysis, and now we are in the process of learning all the set-ups and patient placement for the adjustment. The instructors seem to have a limitless eye for detail, so it always seems like they find something wrong with my set-up. However, I realize that the success of an adjustment begins with a good set-up, and I am grateful that they are helping me become the best chiropractor I can be.

I’m looking forward to the end of the trimester when we have the “Toggle-Off,” which is a class-wide competition to see who has the best toggle technique. I’m a pretty competitive person, so I’ll be practicing hard in preparation. Stay tuned for future blog postings about the “Toggle-Off!”

Leah Hetebrueg, 4th trimester student
Davenport Campus

3 thoughts on “Taking on Toggle-Recoil

1. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wteand to say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

2. Pingback: BJ Palmer Adjusting in 1924 | Penrith Family Chiropractic