First Rugby Game of the Spring Season!

Thinking back on spring …

Rugby season started up again in the spring! No one was more excited about this than me. 🙂 As you may remember, last season I broke my finger so I had to sit out for the fall season. Of course, it was fun to watch my teammates, but nothing compares to actually playing.

Our first game of the season happened to be our only away game of the season. We played the Morrigans, who are based outside of Chicago. Thankfully the trip was only two and a half hours, so we didn’t have to leave too early. 🙂

Let me tell you, rugby road trips are always a fun time. There’s always tons of food, laughs and singing. Lots and lots of singing. We have a lot of new rookies on the team so it was a great way to do some team bonding. 🙂

We knew that the weather was going to suck. There’s literally no other way I can put it. The forecast said 40 degrees and windy. So we packed leggings, long socks and undershirts – but it still wasn’t enough! We pulled up to the pitch and it starts snowing. As soon as I got out of the van I immediately asked myself why I played rugby – hehehe. But once the game started we forgot all about the weather. We scored three try’s and we even had the chance to switch up positions! I had practiced being a prop for about 30 minutes, and I didn’t feel very comfortable with it, but I tried it out in the game and actually didn’t mind it! I even managed to do something good, so overall not too bad. 🙂 Did I mention we won?! It felt great!

After the game we went to the social – where the other team feeds us and we end on a good note. Then we hit the gas station for some snacks, and we were on our way back home! The snow turned to hail, but thankfully stopped as we were leaving. Once we got back we cleaned out the vans and went our separate ways. Rugby games make me extremely tired. Like to the point where I cannot function. Poor Joey has to put up with me when I’m this tired, I feel sorry for him! Hehe. You would never believe it, but sometimes I get very angry when I’m that tired. Thankfully he doesn’t take it personally. 🙂

Callie

PS: I have a new pre-game tradition!