First rugby game of the season!

The Palmer Women's Rugby team!

The Palmer Women’s Rugby team!

A couple of weekends ago we had the first Women’s Rugby game of the season! It happened to be an away game, so of course that made us all more excited.

We had a meeting Friday night and then packed up six vans and left for Minneapolis, Minn. The drive was about six and a half hours. Woof. It was definitely a long haul, but the girls in my van were great, and the time went quickly! We stopped at Chipotle for supper, and the cashier gave us buy-one-get-one-free coupons! YAY! That means next game we have in the Cities, we will be eating good. 🙂 I think we arrived around 10 p.m. and I went to bed right away. Sitting in a van for that long is tiring! Plus, we had to get up at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday for individual meetings, our team meeting and then the game, of course!

Saturday was the perfect day for rugby. It was cool and not too sunny. The only downfall was the pitch was soaking wet! Every step you took water, poured out of the ground. But other than that it was gorgeous!

Overall, the game went well. We’ve had quite a change in the line-up lately, so it was difficult for everyone to be completely comfortable. But it’s nothing a few practices can’t fix. 🙂 We ended up losing, but, like I said, we had a good foundation. It’s still incredible to think that almost all of us had never played rugby before, and yet here we are keeping up with the best of them!

One of the best parts of rugby is the social after the game! The other team grills out or provides food for the other team, and you are able to get to know the other team. It’s a very respectable tradition. It was great because they had vegetarian burgers; no one ever has vegetarian burgers! I was sooooooo happy! Right after the social, I was able to leave to go back to Davenport. One van left right after our game, one van left after the men’s game, and then the rest left on Sunday. There weren’t a lot of people leaving right after our game, so I decided I better hop on that van for 1) more space, and 2) so I could get home at a decent time. I ended up getting home at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, which was perfect! I was able to shower and eat and still go to bed at a decent time. I was also able to spend some time with Joey. 🙂

Sunday was pretty boring; you don’t want to hear about it, hehe. I slept in and then worked on some homework and studied for my exam on Monday. Like I said, boring but I’ll take a lazy Sunday over a crazy one any day. 🙂

We’re coming up on the first home game for Palmer Rugby! I’m hoping for another beautiful day. Lots to do before this game, but stay tuned and wish us luck! GO PALMER!

Callie