Back in the thick of things …

This week started out with a biochemistry exam, a palpation practical, and then spinal. Overall, the exams went well! I know that I could have put more time in and would definitely have seen a better grade, but I still did well, and that’s the best I can do. 🙂 Unfortunately, I get migraines when I’m sleep-deprived, not eating right and have pushed my stress level to the limit.

Since being at Palmer, I have only had two migraines, and one just happened over the weekend. This is incredible to me! I used to get migraines all the time while working and doing my undergrad. I believe this is the universe saying, “You are where you are supposed to be and doing what you are supposed to be doing.” It’s also telling me to take a little better care of myself. 😉 So I took the weekend to lightly study and rest. But, thankfully, that hardest test is done and I focus on next week’s exam: Physiology 2.

This week I also attended a couple presentations! It was a great way to get out of the books and see the light at the end of the tunnel. The first presentation I went to was by a Palmer grad, who also happened to be a former rugby player. And, as if it couldn’t get better, she happens to practice in Madison, Wis. She also brought free food. 🙂 She talked about how to open a practice or where to go after graduation. I didn’t realize that some graduates really struggle finding a job or even a stable practicing mentor. But I’m glad I’m learning these things now instead of 5 months after graduation and jobless (but that won’t happen to me 🙂 ).

She also spoke about what the focus of our practices should be. We really need to be focusing on the whole spectrum of chiropractic: wellness, nutrition, environment, meditation, etc. Basically, fixing the subluxation is great, but if you don’t help your patient in the other aspects of their lives, then you aren’t changing much. And isn’t that the whole point? I loved it and truly enjoyed going J

The second speaker was extremely inspiring. He was super motivated and enthusiastic, and anyone in the room could tell you he was passionate about his job. That’s the chiropractor I want to be. Shoot, that’s the kind of person I want to be. 🙂 He runs a pediatric, cash-only practice in Chicago and shared some great tips. Plus, his philosophy was incredible. He talked about how to stay true to chiropractic. Adjusting is great, but chiropractors truly need to understand the science behind an adjustment as well as the environmental factors, such as the patient’s nutrition, daily activities, exercise, etc. To be a great chiropractor, we have to do some “non-chiropractic” things. I can’t even do him justice, but basically I left feeling super pumped and excited to learn. 🙂

Now I’m hoping to have a fun and relaxing weekend … and a do little studying. 🙂

P.S. Women’s Rugby has started up again! GO PALMER! 🙂

Callie