Each week, we’re asking our alumni to share their advice and experiences on the Alumni Voices blog. This week, P. Burdoc Nisson, D.C., shares his personal list of Do’s and Don’ts for new chiropractors.
Do’s & Don’ts:
1. Make sure that you are in the best health that you can be (get adjusted, eat well, etc.).
2. Make sure that you have everything to help the patient that they are read for.
3. Don’t overwhelm the patient.
4. Do what the patient’s body wants done first, check if that worked and then find the next thing that patient’s body wants now.
5. If the patient’s body is not telling you what is next but is not “done,” try having them move, walk or rest.
6. If the patient comes back the next time feeling exactly the same, find out what you missed.
7. Get to know which local health practitioners do things differently than you do so that you can refer to each other.
8. Refer patients when they are not improving fast enough.
9. Use all of your senses to work with the whole patient (physical, emotional, causal, mental, spiritual).
10. Keep learning.
– Dr. P. Burdoc Nisson